Lunches at home can be pretty boring. Or maybe that's just me. Anyway, I knew as soon as I read this recipe that I had to cook it, and craft day a couple of weeks ago presented the perfect opportunity. It took me ages to make, so if I was going to eat it regularly, I'd pre-prepare the chicken patties, and assemble as needed.
2 green onions (shallots) thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
600g chicken mince (ground meat)
2Tbs parmesan, plus 1/2 cup
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
3 bacon rashers
1.5 cups self raising flour
1.5 cups chilled soda water
2 large onions, thickly sliced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 anchovy fillets, mashed
6 long bread rolls
4 iceberg lettuce leaves
* fry green onions and garlic for 1min. Cool slightly
* mix mince, parmesan, breadcrumbs, and onion together
* with wet hands, shape mix into 12 patties
* fry over moderate heat until golden and cooked
* cook bacon
for onion rings whisk soda water and flour together. stand ten minutes. heat oil. dip a few onion rings in batter. shallow fry until golden.
whisk mayonnaise and anchovies together
assemble sub spread mayonnaise on roll, top with lettuce, bacon, patties, sprinkle with parmesan, serve onion rings on side.
* I've never eaten anchovies before, so I only used two. The mayonnaise was lovely.
* I only used 500g chicken mince, so didn't get 12 patties from the recipe
* Don't thin the batter out! I ended up with a mess, but the onion rings were awesome, and on the menu again.
* I forgot to sprinkle parmesan on top when assembling. It was still lovely.