Jam drops have always been hit and miss in this house. I'm not a huge fan of jam, but Chloe loved it growing up, so these were on high rotation with the orange poppyseed cookies; but Douglas wasn't a fan when he was little, and Natalie has never liked jam, so it was easy to forget this classic and try other things. But I really wanted to see if the jam drops base would work with lemon curd, because everyone is a fan of lemon here.
And it was the right decision to make. Where some cookies are still stashed away in the cupboard, there were no jam drops left within 24 hours. Even Steve tried them, and he never eats biscuits, because of his reflux issues. The kids have already ordered these for back to school baking, but I'll be doubling the batch this time!
80g butter, softened
1/3 cup caster sugar
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1 cup self raising flour
1/3 cup custard powder
jam or curd
* cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
* add milk and vanilla, mix well
* sift flour and custard powder, fold into butter mixture
* roll dough into balls, place on trays
* using thumb, or end of wooden spoon, make an indentation
* fill hole with jam or curd
* bake 180°C for 15min