With just 13 sleeps until I head off to ProBlogger, it's time to start thinking about the technology I'll be taking with me. As bloggers, we live an online life, with our post writing, social media interaction, and research, and while it would be nice to think that we'll all be disconnecting while we're away, the chances of that happening are pretty slim in reality. So taking some technology is necessary, as is making sure it's in working order.
- Don't forget your chargers! With so many rechargeable gadgets these days, make sure you've got all the chargers for all your gadgets. My iPhone has a lightning plug, but my iPad is older, and has the 30 pin plug, so I need to pack two leads. And my camera is rechargeable, too. If your camera takes batteries, change them before you leave home, or pack a spare in your bag.
- Bring a power board for your room. Two people in a room, two lots of gadgets, chances are there won't be enough power points available. A powerboard will alleviate the stress of who's gadget will go un-charged for the day.
- Extra internet is a good idea. During our recent internet outage, I was astounded how much can actually be used in a day! There is a wi-fi provided at the venue, but I've never had any luck with free wi-fi being anything but unstable, so I'll be packing our Vodafone pocket modem. Between that and my phone data and my iPad data, I should have plenty of data for the four days I'm away.
- Don't bring your laptop. Now I'm in two minds about sharing this one, but I'll outline my reasons, and you can decide for yourself. 1) I think it will be hard to plan to write. I actually do my best writing first thing in the morning, but I think the days will be so jam-packed that I'll be using that time to escape outside for a walk. 2) With so many other gadgets, is a laptop really necessary? I've got an iPad, and my iPhone (although I hate blogging from my phone, the screen is so small!), I can easily browse pinterest in bed from my iPad (it's what I do most nights anyway.) Toni, on the other hand, will be leaving her iPad behind, so she is taking her laptop.
- Pack it all away securely when you leave your room. Chances are, you'll be at least carrying your phone and camera, but even though the venue is a five star resort, I strongly urge you to pack your technology away when you leave the room for any reason.
You can download a free packing list on this post.